On Tuesday, our U15 rugby sevens team played their first tournament of the season at Sexey’s School. Despite coming third in their initial group, the Warminster team then faced Wells Cathedral for a place in the Bowl Final. After a close fought first half against the hill, Warminster pulled away with a further three tries from Felix Sheves, Benson Hiaso and Stanley Admiraal for a convincing victory, 31-12 The final saw them pitted against a Monkton Combe side who had won their semi-final 6 tries to 5, having come back from 5-1 tries down. The first half saw Warminster lose early ground and went into the behind. However, an inspired second half performance again saw Warminster, first draw level and pull away with great tries from Robbie Maclean, Felix Sheves and Benson Hiaso. Despite conceding a last minute try, Warminster came out victors 31-28. Player of the tournament, Felix Sheves.

On Thursday, Warminster’s senior teams hosted Canford, Kingdown and Beechen Cliff. A mixed girls senior team failed to take their chances and lost some fluidity in their 3 goal loss, player of the match Emma McCraith, whilst the 1st XI footballers lost 0-2 against local rivals Kingdown School despite dominating in long spells and failing to convert a spot kick. However, the outstanding performance came from the 1st XI boys’ hockey team who remain unbeaten this term. The team knew from results that this would be their biggest test of the season so far, and so it was. The opening half-hour saw Beechen and Warminster exchange 2 goals each. With two minutes before half time, Warminster were awarded a penalty flick for a deliberate foul in the D, which Captain Hector Lyons scored, hitting the underside of the crossbar. Immediately from the restart having won back possession, Hector reaching a direct pass through the middle and moving on to his favoured reverse, hit the top corner with a screamer. This saw Warminster go 4-2 up at half time. Beechen again came back with a well worked goal for 4-3. Warminster then began to play on the counter and had a few chances before Hector scored, putting Warminster 5-3 up. Beechen can be praised for their never give up attitude, again clawed one back but were unable to break the Warminster defences in the last few minutes. An outstanding performance and 5-4 victory for Warminster and a great spectacle for all those who were watching.

On Saturday, Warminster netballers were hoping to be inspired by their recent attendances at Team Bath Super League games in their matches versus Stonar School; and so they were. A clean sweep. The 1sts enjoyed success with a 39-30 victory. The girls played some exciting netball and Claudia Eeles was clinical in attack and recorded 100% shooting stats from her 9 attempts in the 2nd quarter. The defensive unit of Jannike Smye, Olivia Pratt and Harriet Leslie stuck to task and restricted their opponents space, causing them to make a number of errors. After a whole team effort the third quarter finished 30-26 to Warminster. The last quarter was won 9-4 to seal a 39-30 victory with Jannike Smye player of the match. The 2nds won 23-13 with centre Kira Albiston awarded player of the match. Emma McCraith and Rebecca Hassan were a great partnership in the shooting circle whilst Maisie Fogg worked tirelessly to get free and used her speed to our advantage. The U15A’s continued their good form with an 18-11 win.  Poppy Helm and Lucy Brinker as a defensive unit shone from the offset, disrupting Stonar’s flow whenever the ball entered the circle. Great composure allowed Warminster to take great advantage of this and Warminster led at half time 8-3. Both Mabel Taylor and Millie Dyke came on to have an impact in defence and attack respectively. Mabel showed great composure under pressure bringing the ball through the court, with Millie converting a high percentage of the opportunities in the circle. Jade Hartley and Robyn Glennard showed great awareness in the circle. The U15B’s also recorded a comfortable 10 goal win. A goal in the first 15 seconds set the tone with Millie Dyke (GA) and Rose Vickery (GS) dominating the scoring circle. Praise must go also to Ellie Braddick-Hughes (GK), Mia Quick (WD), Sophie Watson (WA) and Emily Cooke (C) who played extremely well passing the ball down the court. The U14A’s recorded their first win of the season with a well-deserved 14-9 victory. A good partnership between Izzy Robinson and Maisie Craven-Smith was established, complemented by excellent defending from the goal keeper Freya Smye. A good half time team chat resulted in Warminster keeping greater possession of the ball and slowly start to control the game. Well done to Laura Shorto player of the match.

The U13B teams hosted a festival at Warminster and it was great to see all the girls out playing. Despite drawing two and losing four, all the girls played with great effort and enthusiasm. The U12’s continued their great form with a crushing 27-6 victory. It was an exciting, fast-paced game in which our girls found the slippery floor a challenge, but persevered, revealing excellent teamwork and a strong awareness of how to use space. Passing was sometimes a little rushed, so one target could be to improve passing accuracy. Every girl marked very well indeed and every single player put in a super amount of effort.  Grace and Megan's shooting was outstanding.  Special mention and thanks to Yr 5 Anna Galpin who played as our 7th player and demonstrated brilliant team work, speed and footwork. 

The boys footballers enjoyed their inter house rivalry on Boniface pitch. All three games were competitively fought games and the final standings were;1st Denys, 2nd Ken and 3rd Arnold.

The boys’ hockey players faced teams from Portsmouth and Kingswood. The 2nd XI knew that they would be in for a tough fixture as they would be playing St John’s 1st XI team. After conceding the first goal, Warminster came back into the game putting pressure on their opponents and Joel Kleibs and Freddie Sykes had two consecutive strikes but again the keeper held fast. Warminster, deep into the first half eventually pulled the goal back from Reed Webb on his birthday, following up from a PCA rebound to calmly slap the ball into the goal, 1-1. After half time two quick goals from Mark Antrobus and Harry Mayo gave Warminster a 3-1 lead before a sloppy goal on the end made the game a little closer than it ought to have.

The 1sts travelled down to Portsmouth Grammar School to face a triangular with Ryde IOW as well as PGS. Against Ryde, Warminster were always in control of the game but were heavily disappointed as they wanted to mimic their fantastic performance (win) on Thursday night, however, the style of play frustrated Warminster with a lot of stop, start & break down of play.

Edward West opened the scoring in the first half, followed up by Hector Lyons bagging 2 in the second half. After Ryde had beaten PGS 2-0 it was obvious that PGS brought in some reinforcements. Warminster were not at their best but were still doing enough to be in control of the game. However they struggled to capitalise on the possession and opportunities. To Warminster's shock and frustration, PGS took the lead from a well struck goal late in the first half. Half-time gave Warminster an opportunity to rally and review stumbling blocks.

In the second half Warminster were very fixed on this match not bringing an end to the undefeated run, regardless of the reputation of PGS. Opportunities came but never converted until eventually, Edward West found the deserved equaliser. Warminster, not happy with a draw, pushed for a winner but time ran out. Warminster won the 3 team tournament, but were very disappointed with not beating PGS.

The U15A’s also remain unbeaten prior to the game, but knew also that they would be up for a battle having lost 1-0 in the fixture last year. Despite dominating possession and chances, Warminster fell behind to a counter attack by St John’s. Pierre Emorine levelled just prior to the break. A much improved second half performance saw Warminster score a further two goals from Pierre Emorine and Vagif Gadimov, although the scoreline should have been greater. A 3-1 victory for Warminster, with Ben James player of the match.  The U14’s also fell behind to an early goal, but just as the U15’s they fought back with goals from Alfie Dackombe, Jacob Rogers and Marcus Mcquilton. William Harris player of the match.

The U13’s season has stuttered so far and a 2-2 draw was secured on the south coast with goals from Ed Vickery and Bryce Furlong. Sean Montgomery player of the match. The U13B’s played with plenty of effort and enthusiasm but went down 0-7, with Tommy Park player of the match. Whilst the U12A and U12B’s both went down 0-3, Joshua Taylor and Angus Collins were both player of the match respectively.

Finally, our badminton players enjoyed success on Friday night in their friendly match versus Bishipstrow College. Well done to Kelvin Ching, Danny Ding and Egbert Yung all won their matches 2-0, whilst Celia Wang also won all of her matches. Final score 10-6 to Warminster.

Next weekend the boys’ hockey teams will face Canford and Salisbury Cathedral School, whilst the girls face Marlborough, Ryde and Salisbury Cathedral School.

Christopher Knight, Director of Sport