The Music Department lies at the centre of the school and draws a huge proprtion of pupils into a fantastic range of activities. The department boasts 4 choirs: Junior Singers, Cantamus Chamber Choir, Warminster Singers and a newly formed Sixth Form Choir, a Soul Band, String Orchestra, Jazz Band, String Quartet and countless smaller groups. The department is buzzing all day, every day!
All pupils are actively encouraged during their time at school to get involved in something musical which they enjoy. From a Year Seven Concert, the first celebration of new talent to the school, held annualy in October, the curriculm continues in a practical form. KS3 lesson topics range from music for film and theatre to rap and reggae. The course is largely practical and includes plenty of opportunities for working in the fantastic Music iMac Suite. Class sets of Djembe Drums and Ukuleles are regularly used.
A large proportion of pupils receive instrumental and vocal lessons taught by a highly qualified, energetic and enthusiastic team of visiting teachers each week. Lessons take place during the school day. Tuition is available in Strings, Brass, Wind, Percussion, Vocals, Guitar, Piano. Supervised practice sessions are available for both boarders and day pupils most evenings of the week in the music department.
The School regularly enters pupils for music examinations with ABRSM, Trinity & Trinity Rock & Pop. Enthusing and inspiring our pupils through music, multiple performances range from regular Lunchtime Soloist Concerts, Evening Recitals and our flagship event: A Cabaret, involving a huge proprtion of school pupils and staff.
In collaboration with the Drama Department, pupils are exposed to the full spectacle of the stage experience with professional costumes, lighting, sound and a pro-band. Rececent shows include Mary Poppins and The Lion King.
The Department enjoys visits each year from military bands and tours regularly. Most recently, the Concert Orchestra, Jazz Band and Soul Band toured Catalonia.
Music lies at the heart of the school with an incredibly busy and lively programme available every day of the week. The Thomas Arnold Hall, complete with state of the art lighting and sound, is utilised as a concert hall for a wide range of concerts both professional and pupil-led. Trips, practical music making and composing skills lie at the centre of learning. Both performance spaces boast Yamaha Grand Pianos and the schools’ newest addition is a Harpsichord. Recently Music Scholars, Music GCSE and A Level pupils enjoyed a trip to hear the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra's John Williams Extravaganza.
We currently offer Edexcel GCSE Music and A2 level. Edexcel Music Technology AS/A2 has been offered since September 2016.
These take place before school, at lunchtime, during the ‘Green Zone’ or after school
- Concert Orchestra: A Full Orchestra who mainly enjoy playing Film Music and popular music medleys.
- Jazz Band: A small ensemble who enjoy Performing at school black tie events amongst many others
- String Ensemble: Play an exciting mix of classical and more modern hits, most recently performing the James Bond Suite.
- String Quartet: Quintessentially English, they enjoy accompanying formal lunches and dinners.
- Warminster Singers: Our Staff and pupil Choir, Year 9 upwards.
- Junior Singers: Our year 7 & 8 choir
- Ukulele Orchestra: Huge fun for beginners and more experienced players
- Rock Bands: Headbanging and feedback abound. Practise space available for any burgeoning bands.
- Drumming Groups: Seniors are the ‘Slapsticks’ and the new Junior group is very popular playing anything from chairs and ladders tables to a complete set of military marching drums.
- Soul Band: Our training group for less experienced musicians. A VERY popular place to be!
The Department has an excellent group of Music Scholars who lead many of the ensembles and choirs. They treat the school community to a special Black Tie Recital each year and this year, a new annual Music Scholars Dinner will be taking place. For further information on Music Scholarships please click here.
During the Covid lockdown of 2020, the music department remained very busy. They produced two Virtual Choir pieces an evening recital and an incredibly funky 'virtual' Rock, Pop and Jazz Night.